Friday, September 23, 2011

What is restriction?

I have found some missing pieces to my eating disorder this past year. I have been attending a weekly ED therapy group at the hospital. One of the group facilitators submitted to me that restriction is just as eating disordered as bingeing and purging. 

Many of us will view restriction as virtuous and are not nearly bothered by it as we are by overeating and bingeing. The faciltator told me that we aren't bothered by undereating so much because it is congruent with the desire to be thin, whereas overeating equals "fat". It was hard to accept that restriction is really bad as I'm not underweight at all, in fact I could use to lose about 5 or 10 more pounds.

The three main restrictive behaviors I  practice:

1.) Make a huge salad and call it dinner even though it is calorically deficient= hiding behind low cal bulk eating.

2.) Bargaining with myself: If I eat this now then I'll just cut back the rest of the day. 

3.)  Villify foods: Obsessed about fat grams..... Carbs are bad.....

I recently met someone who practices restriction in a low volume way. Weighed and measured low bulk fatty foods. Never getting really full for fear of bulemia. This version isn't me.

There you go. There are probably more ways to restrict.

Tell me about that.




No comments:

Post a Comment