Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chana Dal-great basic for a plant based diet

I discovered Chana Dal (baby garbazo beans) several years ago when I was researching foods that keep the blood sugar stable.  Read about that here:  http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

I used to buy this at Whole Foods, but they stopped carrying it in my local store. I now order it from Bob's Red Mill.

These beans look like yellow split peas but they are garbanzo beans and keep their shape when cooked.

Tonight I made a yummy soup with the dal with what I had on hand.

9oz dal (1.5cups) (soaked 8hours)
5 cups water
1 large garden or heirloom tomato chopped
2/3 med red onion chopped
1 pepper (serrano I think) minced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 large carrot shredded
2 cloves garlic minced
Juice of 1/2 large meyer lemon
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
pinch cardamon
1/2 tsp coriander
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp salt
8oz sweet potato cubed: add last 10-15 min of cooking.

Add all ingredients except sweet potato, Boil and simmer for 40min then add sweet potato and cook til tender about 10-15 min.

Still catching up after returning from our trip. Sleep, laundry, food prep.....
Tomorrow I have my eating disorder's group at the hospital. Gotta get to my homework which is to write my life's story from the perspective of Ed (my Eating Disorder) and then my story from Johannah's perspective. Will let ya know how that goes.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment